Planks are the foremost exercise that comes in mind for core strengthening and stabilization. Core is the central part of the body which includes your abdominal area, lower back and hips. These areas are generally weak unless we train them and strengthen the muscles around. Planking is one of the most effective ways to reduce weight and tone the abdominal area. Anyone can start practicing them and that too without needing much of any equipment for the exercise.
So, here are a few plank exercises to start with:
- Get down on floor facing downwards with your body supported on both of your elbows and toes.
- Forearms should be resting on floor with both the fists clenched.
- Keep your neck, back and hips in a straight line parallel to the ground.
- Hold the position from 20-30 seconds.
- You can keep a towel or pillow beneath elbows if the floor hurts.
- Take the position of that of the basic plank.
- Get your upper body up by transferring your weight from elbows to hands one after the other.
- Get down on elbows after a brief hold on the hands position.
- Hold the plank position in basic and raised position for about 5 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise for 10 times in a go.
Leg raise plank
- Get in the basic plank position with body supported on elbows, forearms and toes.
- Raise one leg up towards ceiling as much as you can and lower it to the ground.
- Now raise the other leg after fixing the first leg on ground.
- Continue the exercise with alternating leg raise upto 10 times each side.
- The starting position differs from the previously discussed planks. Support is on hands instead of elbows and forearms in this variation.
- Hopping is done with both the feet simultaneously going a bit wider than the starting position.
- It can be done 10-20 times in a go for beginners.
Note: Kindly consult a Physio about your fitness in order to pursue this form of workout.
Start today and get a rock solid core!!!
Any queries and suggestions are very much welcome!!