Remember this song by Shakira?
At least the title makes sense to me and to all the people who have experienced hip muscle weakness which is mostly confused or mistakenly taken as low back pain. However in many cases, weakness of hip musculature is overlooked and hardly given any importance unless a major symptom arises or on a continuous presence of an underlying pain which refuses to go away. Maintaining hip strength will definitely help with reduction in episodes of recurrent back-pain and fatigue associated with upper hip area.
A few hip muscle strengthening exercises to start with:
Single leg brigde
The most favorable exercise to start the strengthening regimen of hips.
- Lie down on your back with knees bent.
- Lift your back and hips with single leg in air.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds.
- Get back in the starting position.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times for both sides.
A great exercise for improving hip mobility.
- Stand in a walk standing position.
- Bend your back leg at knee and take it near to ground while bending forward knee at around 90 degrees.
- Come back in starting position.
- Repeat the exercise at least 10 times on both the legs.
- For increasing the effort weights can be held in both the hands.
A beginner’s exercise for strengthening the outer part of hip musculature i.e. gluteus medius.
- Stand with feet apart around twice the shoulder width.
- Shift your weight to one side dropping your hip down and back.
- Keep your knee over toes and weight over your bent leg.
- Hold the position for 3-5 seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat it for 10 times on both the legs.
Side step up
This exercise helps hip stabilizers in strengthening.
- Stand near to a stool or a bench keeping it on either side of the body.
- Step up on the stool by lifting your leg sideways and straighten the leg while bearing weight on it.
- Step down slowly and repeat it for 10 times.
- Switch to the the other side and repeat it for 10 times.
- Weights can be added for increasing the exercise efforts as well.
Note: Kindly consult a Physio prior starting these exercises on your own if you are already suffering from chronic backache or any hip dysfunction.
Begin with these exercises and get those hips rocking!!!
Any queries and suggestions are very much welcome!!
Contact/Whatsapp no.: +91 9873227454